This is a fantastic soup that I came up with after I realised there was no way I could keep a green smoothie down – they just didn’t sit well with me for some reason. I like my blended vegetables warm, not cold and I thought, what if I can just get my vegetables a little bit hot without totally killing them, and then make soup.
That’s pretty much just a warm smoothie, served in a bowl with a spoon.
- 10 broccoli florets (approx 1 small/med head of broccoli)
- 2 cups retained broccoli cooking water
- 1 tbsp yeast flakes
- 1/3 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- One generous bowl
- Place broccoli florets in pan of simmering water, turn off the heat and blanch for 45 seconds.
- Remove pan from heat and, using a slotted spoon lift broccoli florets into a colander and very briefly run it under a cold tap to stop it from cooking further.
- Remember to retain the cooking water as you’ll need this as your stock.
- Put broccoli, retained cooking water, yeast flakes, cashews, tamari, salt and pepper into the VitaMix.
- Blend soup on high for 45 seconds or until smooth.
You might find you like to alter the amount of water (stock) you put into the blender. If you like your soup really thick start with 1 cup of water and see how you like the texture.
Please do let me know how you get on with this recipe – or how the recipe sounds to you – I love getting feedback good and bad!!